Greetings, everyone! Andon here, with another tale of woe… that ends in triumph!
I’ve been trying to find a supply for a larger screen – A 2.4-2.6″ TFT LCD with a touchscreen. Size varies depending on who you’re asking about the given screen, and currently I’m having issues getting a screen that’ll work with the code that I have. I’ve bought a few sets of screens that claim to have one controller chip, but it turns out they have something different that doesn’t work nicely.
This is, obviously, frustrating. While I’ve not yet found a screen that I’ve got to work, I still have my ace in the hole: The 1.8″ TFT LCD from the DigiBadge V1. I’ve found a nice supplier for these screens, and they’re exactly the same as the ones I used on the V1, just without the pesky size-adding PCB on the back. Exactly the same isn’t even an exaggeration – They’ve got identical markings on them as well.
While I’m still searching for a large screen that I can get to work, I’ll be putting together a V2 “Mini” version that I’m absolutely, 100% sure I’ll be able to make work. All the parts work nicely together – the only thing needed is a circuit board. If I find a 2.8″ screen, I’ll still be offering the V2 “Mini” alongside the V2 “Large” when pre-orders open.
Oh, yeah! There’s that, too!
Instead of running a Kickstarter this year (It’s a little too late for that anyway), I’ll be funding the production of the things myself. To help out with that, I’ll be opening pre-orders a bit before BronyCon on a few items. I’ll have more information later, but keep your eyes out!
Additionally, some small news on the Pendant that I find somewhat amusing. It turns out that the matrix driver chip only works in a narrow voltage range, optimally at 5v. Those of you familiar with such things will note that two AAA batteries only provide 3v max. Adding batteries isn’t a solution as not only would the size become a bit silly, the voltage would skip cleanly by the 5v needed.
So, what is needed is a step-up power regulator. After looking through a few of them and finding some of the parts were incredibly expensive, I looked at the V1’s regulator – And found there was a version that functioned identically, except instead of a 3.3v output, it gives 5v. And, as I am much more capable at soldering and also own a reflow oven, surface mount parts allow for a much cheaper set of parts. In the end, I did end up exceeding my price goal…. by exactly one cent. Which is perfectly fine by me. The amusing part to me is that the pendant, which was supposed to be simpler, ends up having a few more complex parts than the DigiBadge.
And that’s it for today, folks! I’ll be checking back in with some more news, as soon as I have it.